Friday

Notes For the Voyage...



What are the sources of the sacred in our lives?  Really, beyond church and sacred texts, how do we, even as children, know what is sacred and what isn’t?  


Life is a treasure…treat it with________?

“Follow your heart,” the saying goes. I see an image of a heart as a compass. So the question, “How did I get here?” And the answer, “I followed my heart--or I failed to.”


We watch movies like Amelie and revisit stories from our teens and early twenties. We begin to see them in new ways, with less seriousness, less preciousness, and, paradoxically, with more respect for all we knew then, and all we didn’t know we knew.

We can revisit poems, too, changing the perspective. My poem, “Namaste” offered fraught impressions of others who were present with me at a time of profound tragedy. For practice, and from a place of calm and increasing awareness, I rewrite it from their perspective, looking at me.  

Los Angeles is a good place to find hope among the hopeless.



Who am I? Why am I here? What was I born to do?

How a sea of yellow mustard flowers sprouted in the two weeks while I was gone, to run like a golden river along the trail where I climb. The plant that greets me in the middle of the road, across the street from the place where we greeted each other years ago, where I held the back of her head while we embraced, where we poured out our hearts.

The courageous person enters deeper and deeper into the mystery, knowing s/he doesn’t have the answers--and then, when s/he gets some, going deeper. 


Take your heart, for example. What is that? Hold it in your hand. What does it mean when you give away your heart? 

For your journal/discussion, respond to any of the items in this post, or go “off-trail” and see what you find. Write or share about your discoveries or questions here or with another.